Serves 8 – 10
- 180 cup soy sauce
- 180ml cup water
- 4 ½ Tbsp packed light-brown sugar
- 4 ½ Tbsp honey
- 1 ½ Tbsp crushed garlic
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 ½ Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 ½ Tbsp cornstarch
Chicken and veggies
- 10 Tbsp olive oil, divided, plus more for brushing grill
- 3kg chicken breasts
- Ground black pepper
- 6 medium zucchinis, diced into half-moons and quartered (1 1/2 cups)
- 4 ½ cups matchstick carrots
- 6 cups small diced broccoli florets
- Sesame seeds
For the teriyaki sauce:
- In a small saucepan whisk together low-sodium soy sauce, 1 cup of the water, the brown sugar, honey, garlic, ginger and rice vinegar. Bring mixture to a light boil over medium-high heat.
- Whisk together cornstarch with remaining ½ cup water, then add to sauce mixture in saucepan. Reduce heat slightly and allow to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, set aside.
For the chicken:
- Brush both sides of chicken with 5 Tbsp of olive oil and season pepper (you won’t need salt since the teriyaki sauce is plenty salty). Preheat a grill pan.
- Brush grill grates lightly with oil then grill chicken until char marks are shown, about 4 minutes per side. Remove and let rest 5 minutes then dice into cubes.
For the veggies:
- Heat remaining olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, broccoli and carrots and sauté for 4 – 5 minutes until crisp-tender.
To assemble bowls:
Layer 1/4 of the chicken and 1/4 of the veggies in a bowl. Drizzle desired amount of teriyaki sauce over top, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve warm.