Makes 1 round cake
- 480 ml cake flour
- 300 ml castor sugar
- 3.75 ml salt (½ a tsp plus ¼ tsp)
- 15 ml cocoa
- 3.75 ml bicarb (½ a tsp plus ¼ tsp)
- 300 ml sunflower oil
- 180 ml buttermilk
- 3 egg
- 1 bottle red food coloring
- 3.75 ml white vinegar (½ a tsp plus ¼ tsp)
- 3.75 ml vanilla (½ a tsp plus ¼ tsp)
- 200 g soft butter
- 240g cream cheese
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 10 ml lemon juice/ a little squeeze of a lemon, to taste and/or 2.5ml vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 100°C.
- Prepare your muffin tin, by lining each hollow with a paper case.
- In a bowl sift the dry ingredients together (flour, castor sugar, salt, cocoa and bicarb) and set aside.
- In another, larger, bowl mix all the wet ingredients (oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and combine.
- Spoon into your cupcake cases, filling each to 3/4 full. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, prepare your icing by beating the butter and cream cheese together with a wooden spoon until well combined (about 3 minutes).
- Gradually add the icing sugar, beating all the while until it forms a smooth icing.
- Adjust the consistency by adding a little more icing sugar if required. Then add the lemon juice and/or the vanilla to taste.
Play around with decorating ideas when adding the final touches to the cake.