Makes 20-24 medium flapjacks
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter
Blueberry or Strawberry coulis
- 1 cup blueberries or strawberries
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup of water
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Sift the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt (about 1 ml) together in a medium mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle.
- Beat the egg and sugar together in a smaller mixing bowl and add the milk.
- Add the egg and milk mixture to the well in the flour mixture and blend well to form a smooth batter.
- Lightly grease the bottom of a heavy-based frying pan with the butter. Heat pan to medium heat.
- Blob tablespoons of batter into the pan, about 2cm apart. Fry the flapjacks on medium heat for about 2 minutes on one side or until the top is full of air bubbles – the bottom should be golden brown. Turn and fry for another minute on the other side.
- Serve with whipped cream, blueberry or strawberry coulis, Nutella or your choice of serving ideas. It can be both savoury or sweet.
For the coulis
- Combine blueberries or strawberries, lemon juice and zest, water and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat and allow to simmer till a syrup sauce is formed. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.