- 2 medium butternuts
- Zest of 1 orange and the juice as well
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 60ml olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup cream
- Start by peeling and cleaning out the butternuts, cut into cubes and boil until al dente. Drain the water and set aside.
- In a deep pot, heat the olive oil, add the onions, orange zest, and cinnamon and sauté until soft. Add the butternut and fry for about 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add the vegetable stock to the butternut and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and using a food liquidizer, liquidize until smooth.
- Place back on the heat and add the cream. Allow to simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Top with some crispy butternut skins and serve immediately with some freshly baked bread.
Hint: If the soup is a little runny, just add a little cornflour mixed with milk to it.