Makes 4 dozen
- 500g Butter
- 1 ½ cups White Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp Salt
- 500ml Buttermilk
- 1.5 kg Self-rising flour
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line baking trays with spray and cook.
- In a microwave save bowl melt the butter. Allow to cool slightly before adding the buttermilk and eggs.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar and salt together. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine till a soft dough is formed.
- Press the dough out into prepared baking trays, and cut the rusk according to desire sizes.
- Bake for 30-35 min or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and turn the oven down to 50 – 100C.
- Cut loose the rusk pieces from one another and place them on a baking tray leaving a small space between each rusk.
- Place back in the oven for 6-8 hours or overnight until the rusks are hard in the middle as well.