- 3 heads broccoli, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 110g unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups cream
- Pinch nutmeg
- 3 cups grated cheese (for on top as well)
- 1 cup chicken stock, optional
- Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour on top. Stir to combine and cook until the flour is absorbed and smells lightly toasted, 1 minute or so. Add the milk and cream. Add the nutmeg, then the broccoli, a small dash of salt and plenty of black pepper. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low. Simmer until the broccoli is tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Stir in the cheese and allow to melt.
- Remove from heat and liquidize until all the broccoli pieces are fine. Place back on the heat and add salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- If the soup is a little thick add the chicken stock to make it a little thinner but not too thin.