Once again there were many options when having to choose a Big 5 highlight of the week. We came across a young male and female cheetah resting in the late afternoon sun, surveying their surroundings. When we found them they had full stomachs and there were many vultures circling overhead, indicating they had made a kill during the day . It is always a pleasure to see these beautiful sleek cats and I cannot wait until they next time.
Monday, 08 October 2012
- Salayexe the female leopard killed a cane rat in Tamboti Crossing and then took it to her cub to feed on.
- Four Breakaway Tsalala lionesses resting on the northern side of Safari airstrip
- Two older Tsalala lionesses with their two sub-adult cubs stalking impalas on A-Main
- The pack of fourteen wild dogs resting on Robson’s boundary
- One wild dog chasing an impala into Big Dam. This time the impala was lucky and got away!
Tuesday, 09 October 2012
- Two cheetahs, a male and female, chasing impala on Safari airstrip
- The lone wild dog stalking a side striped jackal around Big Dam
- Tingana the male leopard stalking impala on EP airstrip
- A breeding herd of about 15 elephants feeding on Kudu Drift
- Six buffalo bulls feeding in the Manyeleti riverbed.
Wednesday, 10 October 2012
- Six buffalo bulls resting close to Saseka junction
- Salayexe the female leopard and her cub at Tamboti Crossing
- One young elephant bull feeding on the northern side of Boundary Pan
- One buffalo bull resting in Rampan
Thursday, 11 October 2012
- Salayexe the female leopard on an impala kill close to Horseshoe West
- One elephant bull feeding south into Londolozi
- A breeding herd of about 12 elephants playing around Rampan
Friday, 12 October 2012
(25 °C, 58mm rain)
- The Styx pride of lions on a buffalo kill at Misi Mati
- Salayexe the female leopard still on the impala kill close to Horseshoe West
- A breeding herd of about 12 elephants feeding west along Londoz boundary
- Five buffalo bulls feeding north on Londoz boundary
- Tingana the male leopard scent marking east along Seepline
Saturday, 13 October 2012
- Four Majingilane male lions resting on Rocky Road
- Seven buffalo bulls feeding close to Nyati Bamba Road
- The Styx pride of lions still on their buffalo kill
- A breeding herd of elephants feeding east on Impala Road
- Seven buffalo bulls resting close to Wetpatch
Sunday, 14 October 2012
- Salayexe the female leopard and her cub, walking west from Pungwe open area
- A breeding herd of about 100 buffaloes crossing east from Robson’s
- A breeding herd of 10 elephants feeding east from Kudu Drift
- Three buffalo bulls feeding north from Poachers Corner.
You are also welcome to download a map of our Western Traversing Area. Please note the map is EP copyright. You are welcome to view it, but not to use it in any other format without our consent. The properties included in our western traversing area are Elephant Plains Game Lodge (left side), Arathusa Private (bottom), Arathusa Safari Lodge (right side) and Simbambili Game Lodge (top). We unfortunately do not have a similar map of our eastern traversing area at the moment. We hope that sharing this map would help in understanding the movements and location of animals and that it would put your experience while following our weekly sightings in a whole different league. Enjoy!