Tired of sitting at home? Make a domestic arrival at Elephant Plains Game Lodge and come and enjoy nature in its purest form!
What’s been happening at Elephant Plains during lockdown? We tell you the story in pictures.
Without Prejudice Good day travel partners It has been more than a month since we arrived at the lodge for lockdown. Normally, the saying goes: “Time flies, when you’re having fun.” I am sure that most of you would agree that time also sometimes flies, despite...
As I sit here working, catching up on e-mails, trying to make sense of the Covid-19 pandemic, a hyena laughs in the distance. It also started raining softly – a welcome relief from yesterday’s heat. And so, life goes on… Even though it is 04:00 in the morning, during the start of our three-week lockdown, somehow sitting on the porch, listening to these sounds, the world around us seems fine. And the situation feels surreal.
Special rates valid for a stay between 16 March and 31 August 2020. Applies to new bookings only. Rates include accommodation, all meals and game drives (including sundowner refreshments). Rates exclude transfers, conservation & reserve entrance fees, beverages and items of a personal nature.
As most of you would know by now, Salayexe, our resident female leopard, sadly passed away on the 18th of August. Salayexe was the territorial female on Elephant Plains and I am sure that thousands of guests who visited the lodges in the northern sector of the Sabi Sand Game Reserve would remember her.
In view of the current Covid-19 outbreak, which has recently been defined as a pandemic by the WHO, Elephant Plains Game Lodge would like to state the following, effective from today, until further notice:
From the Kitchen
This traditional, simple yet delicious batter is a perfect way to add a different take to your regular fish meal on your menu planner.
Buttermilk rusks are a popular snack in South Africa. They are essentially double-baked bread. Interestingly, it has the most straightforward recipe compared to other snacks.
With its outstanding spice flavor, super moist crumb, and velvety cream cheese frosting, this is truly the best carrot cake. Use brown sugar and toasted pecans for a deeper flavour.
There is nothing as creamy and decadent as risotto. This easy rice dish is as comforting as it comes and while it may seem intimidating it really is simple. Each time you make it, it will get better and better.
Most of us have fond memories of food from our childhood. Whether it was our mom’s homemade lasagne or a memorable chocolate birthday cake, food has a way of transporting us back to the past – Homaro Cantu
Recent Big 5 Sightings
The game drive highlight of the week was to have the Nkuhuma lion pride and Avoca male lions in our area for a few days Monday, 20 July 2020 (23?C) Tiyani, the female leopard, resting close to Rampan Pan A breeding herd of about thirty elephants feeding along...
The game drive highlight of the week was to have the big buffalo herds back in our area. Monday, 13 July 2020 (24°C) A breeding herd of about fifteen elephants feeding on EP open area Ndzutini, the young female leopard, resting on Rampan open area A...
The game drive highlight of the week was to have the elephant breeding herds around our camp every day. These herds all have a number of little ones which make the sightings extra special. Monday, 06 July 2020 (30°C) The hyena den was active with 3...
The game drive highlight of the week was to see a pack of 9 wild dogs hunting impala around our camp Monday, 29 June 2020 (30°C) A breeding herd of about fifty elephants feeding close to Leeukuil Pan Another breeding herd of about thirty elephants...
The game drive highlight of the week was to see the Nkuhuma lion pride with their cubs. Monday, 22 June 2020 (27°C) Tiyani, the female leopard, resting close to Kimbians Crossing Two buffalo bulls feeding on Pungwe Island Loop A breeding herd of about thirty...
The game drive highlight of the week was to see two male leopards having a brawl over a kill. Monday, 15 June 2020 17°C A breeding herd of about sixty buffaloes feeding close to Serengeti open area A breeding herd of about twenty elephants drinking water at EP...
Good day travel partners
In vieu of the current Covid-19 outbreak, which has recently been defined as a pandemic by the WHO, Elephant Plains Game Lodge would like to state the following, effective from today, until further notice:
- Elephant Plains Game Lodge is currently an unaffected area. Therefore, the lodge is fully operational.
- We are sensitive to the uncertainties and fears that the outbreak has imposed on both our travel partners and our guests. These are uncertain times for all of us. We will therefore endeavour to work towards an amicable solution for everyone.
- We have put the necessary safety measures in place and are closely monitoring the current situation, together with the help of Africa Safe-T, our emergency team.
- All our SOP’s have been activated at the lodge.
- Please keep in mind that this pandemic is a first for all of us. There are no fool proof guidelines on how to perfectly handle the situation. We will all learn something new, while doing our utmost best. This is an opportunity to show character and instil, in those who do not know EP that well, our values and commitment towards the industry.
- Our normal cancellation policy is still being implemented for confirmed bookings, up to date. Therefore, should a booking be cancelled for any reason, Covid-19 or otherwise, please take note of the following:
- Date of confirmation to 121 days prior to arrival:
Guests forfeit 5% of the total Reservation Value (charged as a handling fee)
- 120 to 61 days prior to arrival:
Guests forfeit 25% of the total Reservation Value (No refund of deposit)
- 60 – 31 Days prior to arrival:
Guests forfeit 50% of the full Reservation Value
- Less than 30 Days to date of arrival:
Guests forfeit 100% of the full Reservation Value
- No Show / Early Departures:
Guests forfeit 100% of the full Reservation Value
- Any normal cancellations will be applicable as stated above.
Requests for Postponement of Confirmed Bookings, due to Covid-19, will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. These would include, but are not limited to, the window period between a request for postponement and the actual dates of stay.
Postponement of Confirmed Booking Policy, due to Covid-19:
- Should a postponement be requested for a confirmed booking, your current booking will be postponed / carried over to a mutually agreed upon future date – 12 months from the date of the requested postponement.
- These terms are subject to availability.
- If the postponed date carries over into the 2021 booking season, guests would be liable for the rate increases for accommodation and / or all transfers.
- All payments already made (deposits, full payments and / or transfer money) will be kept as credit, towards these future bookings.
- In order to qualify for the Postponement Policy for Confirmed Bookings, the lodge should be notified 14 days, prior to arrival.
- Confirmed bookings may be amended once.
Postponement of Confirmation of Provisional Bookings, due to Covid-19:
- Requests for Postponement of Confirmation of Provisional Bookings, will be handled on a case-by-case basis, depending on how far in advance the provisional booking is being kept.
- Provisional bookings will be followed up on a two-weekly basis (as per our normal policy) and then either confirmed, or released, 14 days before arrival.
- If there is another booking that would like to confirm on your provisionally held date, our reservations office will be in contact with you.
Please note that all future bookings, for the time being, will be handled on a case-by-case scenario, with possible amendments to confirmation dates and payments. More details on these are to follow.
Elephant Plains Game Lodge reserves the right to amend these Terms & Conditions at any time, if the need arises. Until further notice, though, these are our Terms & Conditions for the current period. We will communicate any amendments to all the affected role players in the industry timeously.
Please be assured of our best intentions and transparency, during these difficult times. We will do our utmost best to be as fair as possible in all our decision making.
Let us take a moment to contemplate and embrace the following quote from Albert Einstein:
“In the midst of every crisis, lies great opportunity.”
Good luck and God bless.
Etienne, Marlet and the whole EP Team.